Monday, March 23, 2015

March 23, 2015

Hola familia!!  It sounds like it was a pretty busy week for you all!  My week was CRAZY!!!!!  Honestly the craziest week i have had here I think hahah. 

So it started out on Monday night.  There was a ton of rain still and we found out that all the fishermen were planning a ´´rebellion´´.  Yeah we had no idea what that meant but the next day we sure found out.  I guess its a pretty normal thing they do but what they did was, well first off we have 2 main bridges in La Cruz, so what they do is they put sandbags, big rocks, and whatever they can find to block off the bridges so no one can pass through La Cruz which is a problem because there is only one way to get from Tumbes to Piura and that is through La Cruz.  So Tuesday morning we had to go to Tumbes to practice our skit thing for our Multizone conference.  So we walked outside our apartment and there was no one in the street which is super weird.  So then our mission leader comes out of no where and tells us that its not safe to be outside and that we shouldnt be walking around in this morning, but we had to get to Tumbes so he walked us down to the main road so we could find a taxi and that is where we found all the people.  Everyone was on the main road and there were cars lined up because no one could get passed La Cruz.  There were a million people it seemed like and poliecemen EVERYWHERE.  It was the coolest thing i have ever kind of been a part of haha :)  But we found out that they all the fishermen had smoke bombs and wepons and all sorts of stuff so we got out of there as fast as we could.  When we got back from Tumbes it was all pretty much figured out but we were advised to not be out past dark so we had to be in our apartment about a half an hour early which wasnt fun.  It was crazy haha.  They next few days it just rained and rained but finally stopped Friday and then came the heat again...  I miss the rain haha. 

I have another funny story this week too haha.  So we have an investigator named Sheyla.  She is about 17 years old and when we first started teaching her she was pregnant but a few weeks later she had her baby!  It was a little boy and every time we visited her we asked if he had a name yet and everytime he didnt.  So one night we were teaching her about Joesph Smith (in spanish Jose Smith) and she was like ´´thats a good name, maybe thats what ill name my son´´ and me and Hermana Pleitez just kinda looked at eachother and laughed because we thought it was a joke.  Well anyways we had another lesson with her a couple days later and again asked if her baby had a name, and this time she said yes.  So we asked what it was and she said ´´exactly like it is in your bible! Jose Smith!´´  And we honestly were both just kinda shocked and didnt really say much because again we thought it was a joke but it wasnt!!  She named her son Jose Smith hahaha!  How awesome is that??  Now we just need to get her married to her boyfriend and baptized so itll be a little less weird for her son to be named after a mormon prophet haha :)

We are still continuing to teach Leyder but he has kinda stopped progressing.  He still reads his book of mormon but he stopped coming to church.  The problem is, is he lives pretty far away from the church so we cant pass by his house to remind him and none of the members are willing too...  Were hoping that he has a change of heart because we really dont want to stop teaching him!  We also have this other family that we are teaching and they are amazing!  Their names are Agusto and Isabel.  We contacted Agusto a while ago and started teaching them and they have just progressed ever since.  More so Isabel than Agusto but Isabel is amazing.  She is so nice whenever we visit them and just wants to do whats right.  We are going to challenge them to baptism this week.  The problem with them is church attendence as well.  They live in the same place as Leyder and its hard for them to get to church.  We are hoping we can figure something out for them.

Mom that is crazy that you met someone from Peru!!!  And i really hope I get a letter from her!!  And actually I am probably going to get transferred to Piura in about 2 weeks so that will be perfect!!  I hope that i am in the area that her references are in!  The peruvian people really are the greatest :)  And thats good that Nates mission president talked to the elders in our ward.  I hope that things get better for them.  I know that I am happiest when I think about the people more than myself.  I was pretty frusturated and sad the first couple months because I was just thinking about me and feeling sorry for myself. But when I finally realized that I didnt come out here for me, and got my flippin act together things got a million times better.  The secret to happiness out here is hard work :)  The harder I work, the happier I am :)  (I know thats probably pretty weird coming from me because at home i wasnt much of a worker hahaha, sorry about that momma!)

It really is so good to hear from you.  Mondays are so good! :)  We also have our multizone conference with President and Sister Rowley so I am pretty excited for that this week!  Ill tell you all about it and send pictures next week! :)  Thanks for everything family!  You guys really are the best!  I love you all tons and I will talk to you next week!
Love, Hermana Lauren Jane Mitchell :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com